In this two-minute read, we look at why it’s so important and enjoyable to buy from local, independent stores.
Tomorrow, Saturday 4 December, is national Small Business Saturday.
The campaign, which was begun by American Express, is in its ninth year and has grown steadily.
In 2020, a record £1.1 billion was spent with small businesses on Small Business Saturday and 15.4 million people chose to make a big difference by shopping small and locally.
It’s a day which traditionally kicks off the Christmas shopping period across Leicester and the entire UK.
There has never been a better time to look locally for your festive items, presents, and anything else that makes it ‘the most wonderful time of the year’.
When we buy locally, we support our neighbourhoods and give them the best possible chance of remaining lively, sustainable, and successful.
Below are five ways you can support the local economy (and probably bag yourself a bargain in the process).
- Buy local or bye local – Remember, Christmas is a crucial period for independent traders, especially post-pandemic. We need to use them, or we could lose them.
- Vote with your wallet/purse – When you buy from a local business you are showing that what they bring to the community is valued by you.
- Get social – Tag the store you bought from in a social media post.
- A form of thanks – Many small businesses and shops get involved with supporting community projects and events over the year. A purchase from them, no matter how small, shows you’re grateful for their local involvement.
- Do a review – One of the best things about shopping from smaller, independent businesses is that your purchase really matters to them, and the service is often superior to larger, national retailers. Let the world wide web know if your experience with a local shop or business has been a positive one by leaving a Google review or similar.
We’d love to know which Leicester shops you’ll be buying from in the run-up to Christmas.
Let us know by mentioning and tagging them in the comments below.
Together, we can make a big difference.